Thursday, September 11, 2008

Justice takes one on the chin...again.

An Arkansas judge today denied the West Memphis 3's request for a new trial in spite of compelling DNA evidence that has been discovered since the original trial process and convictions.

Originally convicted of the murder of three young boys in West Memphis Arkansas, Jessie Misskelley, Jason Baldwin and Damien Echols remain incarcerated with Echols spending his days on Arkansas' Death Row.

It's a compelling story. I suggest you read it if you have not been sufficiently outraged in a while.
I don't know that they are innocent but, at the very least, they deserve a new trial. A trial that actually observes legal protocol and recognizes scientific evidence, not small-town paranoia and prejudice.

I, for one, will feel just a little extra guilt today as I enjoy my life as a free man. Won't you join me?

No comments: